Thursday 20 October 2011

A note written from one of the very few dry spot's in Thailand

Nic: I loved the weekend...so fun to celebrate with Steph in another country and have a bit of luxury without breaking the bank! After 6 hours of market shopping and some lovely things later, I worked out I spent a grand total of £12! Thailand is a bargain hunters dream. Fung Fah Nursery has been a little different this week. Due to the floods the whole nursery has been taken off the floor and put on shelves, and because we are still unsure as to whether it's going to hit they are reluctant to take all the stuff down. So that means the kids haven't had chairs or tables, or very many toy's. This hasn't seemed to stop them having fun though, they are literally the most easily entertained children I've ever met! Sadly it means that the staff have asked me to sing a lot more this weekend, which I really don't enjoy as it's previously been a one man show, but some of the kid's have now learnt my actions and join along which makes it more enjoyable! Sadly though the annual rainbow camp which was happening next week has also been cancelled due to the floods. However me, and the other volunteers plan on loading the pushchair's and going on a few after nursery trips with the children to make up for it!

This week has just been a continuation of building relationships with the children and the staff. The children know me now, and the staff include me in all they do as a team which is so wonderful. I feel at home at work, I'm so grateful for that. The physical side of the job has felt easier this week, as there has been less equipment to lug around and we have skipped shower time a few times as the towels were too high up! But the emotional toughness continues, and it always will. Everyday I see things that are absolutely wrong. Children mistreated. Tied up. Not fed properly. Not changed. Not loved or respected. It's hard to deal with at the time, and also hard to process when you leave. It can be frustrating when the Thai's show no emotion ( they believe showing emotion encourages evil spirits), and you feel like an emotional wreck ready to explode at what you are witnessing. I now know these children personally, and I know what gorgeous kid's and incredible potential they have, to see them stifled is awful. However I just have to give them my best when I get to look after them, and I'm thankful that they are looked after by such beautiful staff at the Nursery. I've also had amazing news today. Tomorrow I go to work as a Nurse in the sick wards. The Thai goverment have let me in. So excited and so terrified all at the same time! Have no idea what to expect. Will keep you posted!

Me and Steph are generally doing well, but we both had to have the day off on teusday, along with our room mate Karen! We all had different sickness, but think it was a result of being close to burning out. Thank the Lord for rest though, we haven't burnt out and as always God gives our bodies and souls rest when we ask for it. We also just popped to our local market for dinner, and things were put in perspective. They have moved many truck loads of people in to the cinema complex down the road as they have lost their homes and have nowhere else to stay. Please pray for the flood situation, we never know what's going on really, but prayer that it will not get any worse here and that aid reaches those who need it would be great. I really hope you are all well, and that the U.K isn't too chilly! I would complain about it being too hot here, but know that wont get us much sympathy! Love to all, Thank you so much for your lovin' and support xxx

Steph: Hey guys! I'm going to be honest and say last week was a tough one. Physically and emotionally i was a bit drained. Rachawadee girls is still all off the floor due to potential floods so it's been in the wards everyday for us, which has been beautiful as we've got to see so many girls but so hard as well, it's so intense and just hard to get your head around! The things i've seen are just not right, don't think i can explain it all really, but there have been absolute times of joy in amongst all the sadness and i daily hold on to them! There are 3 new girls in Pink ward who really need prayer, they are in shock basically and are petrified of anyone and we just don't understand why they're in that ward, they should be in school, but it's been amazing to show them love and them just sit and cuddle for an hour, they're not scared of us which is good. God has just reminded me in the last few days that all the girls in the wards have Him as their Father, what a truth and comfort!! I see every day God leading me through this and teaching me all kinds of stuff, I was so apprehensive about being at Rachawadee to begin with but now I know that's where God wants me!! So work is going well, feel out of my depth a lot of the time but i'm learning a lot and picking up more Thai which helps! I'm getting on really well with the staff and Julia is a big blessing. Quite looking forward to daycare being back to normal again as it really is lush bringing the girls out of the wards instead of being there.

It was my birthday on Sunday so we had a fun packed weekend! On friday night we went to a christian guesthoue for the night in Bangkok, it was so cheap and such a lovely place! Fried eggs and toast in the morn...yes! Then literally spent 6hours in this market,chatachak, and we think we covered about 2/3 of it! So big! Got some goodies with birthday money, stuff is so ridiculously cheap! So feet were killing at the end of the day so chilled and watched a film. Then in the morn got woken up to a birthday breakfast the girlies had made, pancakes, crumpets, eggs, ORANGE JUICE, wow! They really went all out bless them! Got some b'day parcels as well so was lovely opening stuff from home :) Then had church, a big baptism service so was a bit of a celebration, and then we all lazied by the pool in the afternoon getting a pretty good tan!! Not often i'll be able to say i got a tan on my birthday. After that we went for ice cream in Central Plaza (a huuggee shopping mall) then skyped in the evening! Was busy but lovely busy! As Nic's said we had the day off on tuesday, I didn't want to burn out and woke up really early with a cold so we rested up. Good decision!!

Tomorrow after work we are off to Koh Samet as we have monday off so will be on a beach for the weekend, the Thai's think we're crazy for doing this because of the floods but if they come they come, we know God will protect us and keep us safe! Do keep praying for the situation though, gets a bit more real when evacuation stuff comes close by!

Really missing just getting in joggers and a hoodie, me and Nic have to have like one second cuddles, what's that about?!! I know you guys will be like, whatever we want heat, but honestly when you have a shower then step out and need another like an hour later, not so great. And there is a silly “no showing your shoulders” rule in Pakkred, we think CCD made it up as nearly all the Thai's show theirs, which is a bit frustrating when it's so hot! But this weekend the shoulders will be out, we don't want to be getting a farmer tan :)

Miss you all so much, I think of home quite a lot!!(but in a good way as I know being here is right!) Chat very soon, we're up for skype dates if any of you are free sometime! Loads of lovin, Steph x x x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Frank and Betty. Great to hear all your news. Wonderful that you're now on the sick ward Nic. We continue to pray for strength for you both. I know it's overwhelming when you're faced with such huge need and injustice but God's put you there for a reason. Jesus said 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few'. He will give you all you need and more. His grace is lavish (Eph 1).

    So you're off to Koh Samed! How jealous am I?!! Happy memories of a fantastic holiday. I wonder if the Burmeses lads are still selling pancakes on the beach or if Bam Bam is still working at Samed Villa?? I hope you have a fantastic time. Can't wait to see the pics and hear all about it.
    God bless and loads of love.
    Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete